I was at a festival recently, where one of the speakers said that she does ‘thankfulness commercials’. When her kids start to get grumpy or complain, she makes them stop, and each name five things that they are thankful for.
And you know what? She said that once they start, they never ever can only name five. They just carry on – “I’m thankful for…my mum, my dad, my brother, my house, the sun, the moon, the stars…” etc.
It made me think how mostly, the white noise of my heart is not thankful noise. It is grumbly, complain-y, ‘if only…’ noise.
This week, I am thankful for:
- A fab weekend away – the Colo(u)r Run, thin-crust pizza, a sandsculpture festival, the sea, and About Time
- A warm, sunshine-y afternoon
- Casual weekday badminton (and flexible working)
- One of my new housemates discovering that he owns a microwave (!)
- Other furniture gifts still coming in: a dining table, another sofa, a wardrobe, vintage porcelain dishes, money
- A garden harvest of fat green beans and six beautiful tomatoes
- A team and job that I love
- A friend to sit with while reading
- Winning at this game.
- Long-distance phone chats
- Encouragement to persevere, from the book of Hebrews
- A borrowed umbrella when it was raining
- This good read
- The most bombastic crumble ever – plum, peach, rhubarb, fig and ginger
- My entire church staff helping me to move house
- My vicar/boss sawing a hole in the back of my bookcase so that I have access to power sockets
- A helpful contact agreeing to be interviewed for an assignment
- Cantonese curry. Stroopwafels. Home-baked jam cookies the size of your hand.
- That man in the queue behind me at Costa, who helped pick up my change that had fallen all over the floor. (He also said it was an ‘omen from the Lord, telling me to relax today’…! Maybe so, Mr. Helpful)
- My baby nephew. Oh the cuteness, oh the chub.
- Complete support from ex-housemates (‘do you need any food? Cleaning supplies? Anything at all?’)
- Indoor picnics with the just-moved-in look
And that, my friends, is all.
Have a weekend full of things to be thankful for!